A good news for all Cristiano Ronaldo fans! Soon you can adorn your favourite star’s innerwear soon as the sexy range launches globally on November 1. The products will hit the Indian market in Q1’2014.
The range, CR7, will be manufactured by Danish company JBS Textile Group. The company has given the mandate to New Delhi-based consulting firm Inventure Brand Management to find a partner to create a retail and distribution plan for the undergarments, socks and vests in India.
The product will priced at par with Calvin Klein and Armani undergarments, which means somewhere between Rs 800 – Rs 1,900 per piece. The brand gets its name from the football star’s initials and his jersey number. Products are being created by ace designer Richard Chai, who has worked with brands including Donna Karen, Mark Jacobs and Armani Exchange.
It would be interesting know how workable sports licensing will be as it has not worked too well for Indian players including Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag‘s. Both of their eatery ventures din’t work well.
But yes, innerwear will be an interesting category to work on and will get to the young fans more prominently. These products can easily be a part of their lifestyle which is more taken by consumers.
Facts about Indian Undergarment Market:
- Rs 14,880 crore worth market
- Sales growing at 20 per cent per annum
- Premium products constitute only 5 per cent of the total market
- Existing brand licensed undergarments: Batman & Warner Bros. by Diesel
- Brand Licensing: MTV launches helmets in collaboration with Steelbird (igrowcommunity.wordpress.com)
- Christiano’s, Billy Joel’s Syosset inspiration, gets temporary reprieve (newsday.com)
- The 10 Virendments – Sehwag’s Revelation in the Old Testament (Wisden). (thewicketmanindia.wordpress.com)